Unlike paraffin wax candles, candles made from rapeseed wax are clean-burning, toxin-free, derived from a renewable resource, biodegradable, have a low carbon footprint (available from the EU) and are perfect when scented with pure essential oils. It is often combined with other vegetable waxes such as soy, which also have these positive credentials.
Visit our shop, where you can buy our rapeseed and soy scented candle with the pure essential oils of lavender, bergamot and geranium to help you to relax and unwind.
Rapeseed is an attractive bright yellow-flowered member of the mustard or cabbage family and can often be seen growing in large fields in the countryside. Rapeseed has been grown throughout large parts of the world for at least 4,000 years. Rapeseed oil, from which rapeseed wax is made, comes from the black seeds (similar to poppy seeds).
Rapeseed wax candle – top facts
• Non-toxic emissions
• Long-burning (last for longer than paraffin wax candles)
• Work well with pure essential oils
• Creamy-white appearance
• Derived from a renewable resource
• Often used to make container candles
Rapeseed is often combined with other vegetable waxes, such as soy, which also has the same credentials as bullet pointed above.
Many candles are still made from paraffin wax because it is cheaper and easier to work with when making candles. It is versatile and can be used to make different types of candle, for example the taper and pillar variety. Paraffin wax is derived from crude oil (a fossil fuel), which is non-renewable.
Paraffin wax candles – top facts
• Emit toxic fumes (Pagels et al., 2009)
• Often sooty (not clean-burning)
• Scented with synthetic fragrances as paraffin wax burns too hot to be used with naturals essential oils
• Derived from a non-renewable resource (crude oil, a fossil fuel)
• Harder to clean up spillages than vegetable waxes
So at Zuna, we make our candles with 100% vegetable wax (a combination of rapeseed and soy). Visit our shop, where you can buy our scented candle with the pure essential oils of lavender, bergamot and geranium to help you to relax and unwind.
You may also be interested in: